Recognized since 1987
Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Thomas A. Demetrio is a trial lawyer with an emphasis on medical negligence, product liability, airplane crash and commercial litigation on behalf of plaintiffs. He is Past President of the Chicago Bar Association and Illinois Trial Lawyers Association.
He is a fellow of:
The American College of Trial Lawyers
The International Academy of Trial Lawyers
The Inner Circle of Advocates
Tom has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since its inception in 1987 and was named by Best Lawyers as the Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year for 2011. The National Law Journal has named him as one of the Nation's Top Ten Trial Lawyers and subsequently listed him as one of the top ten trial lawyers in Illinois. In 2022, Tom was ranked first by Illinois Super Lawyers out of attorneys in every practice area for the sixth consecutive year, after attaining the designation in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Lawdragon has named Tom one of the 500 Leading Lawyers in America since its inaugural publication, describing him as the "powerhouse" of aviation and medical negligence law. Lawdragon has said of Tom, "In the windy city, he's the name for everything from medical malpractice claims to aviation disasters. When tragedy strikes, the families of plane crash victims have no greater ally. Tom is Chicago's top trial lawyer and stands alone atop the Chicago trial bar." In 2021, Tom was inducted into Lawdragon's Hall of Fame, an elite honor given to only 37 attorneys nationwide.
He has done extensive teaching and lecturing worldwide in the field of trial techniques and has authored numerous continuing legal education articles in the field of civil litigation.
In 2010, Tom was presented with two awards from the Illinois Jury Verdict Reporter / Law Bulletin Publishing Company for Trial Lawyer Excellence: one for the largest wrongful death settlement ever in Illinois ($25.25 million) and one for acquiring five or more verdicts in excess of $5 million since 1990.
Tom has negotiated over $1 billion in settlements and has acquired over $130 million in jury verdicts which includes the largest personal injury verdict ever upheld by the Illinois Supreme Court. He has never lost an appeal.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.corboydemetrio.com/attorneys-thomas-demetrio.html
- E-mail: email@example.com
- 33 North Dearborn Street, 21st Floor
Chicago, IL 60602
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., graduated 1969
- Chicago-Kent College of Law at IIT , J.D., graduated 1973
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Chicago Bar Association - Past President (1992)
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association - Past President (1988)
- Inner Circle of Advocates - Fellow
- Lawyers Lend-A-Hand to Youth - Founder
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals
- United States District Court
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Medical Malpractice Law, Chicago (2011)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Aviation Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Best Lawyers in America, 1987-present
- Inducted nto Lawdragon Hall of Fame, 2021
- Justice John Paul Stevens Award, Chicago Bar Association, 2016
- Leonard M. Ring Lifetime Achievement Award, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2016
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Hellenic Bar Association, 2015
- Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2011
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.