Recognized since 2011
Family Law Mediation
Susan Butler's practice has focused in the area of domestic relations and family law since she began her practice in 1992. Since 1996, her primary concentration has been in the court systems of Northern Virginia. She is a Certified Mediator for Circuit Court Family Cases and a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
While she has brought the majority of her cases to closure without the necessity of contested court intervention, when it is not possible to reach an amicable resolution of a matter Ms. Butler has extensive experience in litigation of equitable distribution, custody, support and other family law issues in Northern Virginia court systems. Moreover, she has written appellate briefs and has argued cases before the Virginia Court of Appeals. She serves as a Neutral Case Evaluator and Conciliator for the Circuit Court of Fairfax County.
Ms. Butler is a graduate of Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and of The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law. She is admitted to practice law in Virginia, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Connecticut, and before the United States Supreme Court. She is a member of the Virginia and Fairfax Bar Association.
Ms. Butler has been an elected member of the Virginia State Bar Council since 2008. She is a former faculty member of the Harry L. Cerrico Professionalism Course of the Virginia State Bar, and is a current member of the VSB's Law School Professionalism Course.
Contact & Links
- 4000 Legato Road, Suite 400
Fairfax, VA 22033
- Mount Holyoke College, AB, graduated 1988
- Virginia, Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland, Maryland State Bar Association
- Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia - Outreach Coordinator
- Virginia State Bar - Council Member
- Virginia State Bar - Law School Professionalism Course Faculty
- Virginia State Bar - Member, Standing Committee on UPL
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Family Law Mediation, Washington, D.C. (2023)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Family Law
- Family Law Mediation
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.