Recognized since 2013
Washington, District of Columbia
Employment Law - Individuals
Litigation - Labor and Employment
Qui Tam Law
Scott Oswald is managing principal of The Employment Law Group, P.C. An accomplished trial lawyer who has brought more than 40 trials to verdict, he has recovered more than $200 million in judgments and settlements for his clients.
Mr. Oswald is a fellow of the prestigious College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He received his law degree from Howard University and honed his skills at Trial Lawyers College, founded by the legendary Gerry Spence.
Washingtonian Magazine has named him a “Top Lawyer” in Washington, D.C., most recently in December 2018. In April 2019, Lawdragon ranked him as one of the top 500 plaintiff-side employment lawyers in the United States.
Mr. Oswald litigates employment and whistleblower actions nationwide. He has broken new ground in whistleblower law:
- First jury verdict (more than $2.1 million) under new whistleblower protections introduced in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2013
- First Sarbanes-Oxley Act liability verdict to withstand appeal
- First reported jury verdict under 2009 anti-retaliation provisions of False Claims Act
- First Dodd-Frank Act retaliation lawsuit to reach discovery in federal court
Mr. Oswald has significant experience with qui tam or whistleblower rewards cases. He has fought for employees’ rights under federal and state anti-discrimination statutes and represents clients in non-compete, wage, and overtime actions. He has spoken up for whistleblowers before federal agencies and on Capitol Hill.
A recipient of numerous legal awards, Mr. Oswald has been recognized as one of the top 100 Super Lawyers in Washington, DC, for the past five years. He is a seven-time honoree in the Best Lawyers in America and is rated 10 out of 10 by Avvo.
Mr. Oswald is chair of the Federal Bar Association’s Professional Ethics Committee and also its Qui Tam Section. He is co-chair of an employment law subcommittee at the American Bar Association, and he has roles in other professional groups including the D.C. Bar and the National Employment Lawyers Association.
Mr. Oswald is a proud past president of the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association and currently heads its Bench-Bar Committee.
Contact & Links
- 1717 K Street Northwest, Suite 1110
Washington, DC 20006
- Howard University , J.D., graduated 1997
- University of Virginia, BA, graduated 1990
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland, Maryland State Bar Association
- Virginia, Virginia State Bar
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association: Labor and Employment Law Section, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee, Complex Litigation Subcommittee Employee - Co-Chair
- Federal Bar Association Qui Tam Section - Chair
- Federal Bar Association’s Professional Ethics Committee - Chair
- Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association - Bench Bar Committee Chair
- District of Columbia Judicial and Bar Conference Planning Committee - 2010 Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Employment Law - Individuals
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Qui Tam Law
- Employment Discrimination
- State and Federal
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.