Recognized since 1993
Litigation - Construction
Litigation - Municipal
John C. Mitby serves as counsel for numerous businesses, engineering firms, insurance companies, financial institutions, and health care and elder care facilities. Mr. Mitby’s commercial practice includes resolving a variety of matters relating to contracts, real estate, employment, financing, and business and insurance litigation.
Since Jan. 1, 2015 Mr. Mitby is a senior partner Hurley, Burish & Stanton, S.C.
From 2009 to 2014 Mr. Mitby was Axley Brynelson, LLP's managing partner.; as well as handling numerous legal issues as listed below.
Mr. Mitby works with clients on acquisitions, including those involving professional and technical businesses, and provides general corporate oversight. He has provided counsel on many complex business and real estate transactions, such as the reorganization of a cooperative, the sale of America’s largest water park, the sale of a bank, and the sale of the House on the Rock, one of Wisconsin’s most prominent landmarks.
His litigation practice includes the defense of contract , insurance coverage issues, and other often highly complex business litigation matters. He also offers extensive experience as an arbitrator and mediator. If a legal matter is complex Mr. Mitby is often consulted. He has acted as an expert witness in professional matters. Former President of ABOTA, Chairperson of Litigation Section of State Bar, rated 10 by AVVO and top 25 Super Layer Attys. He has been recognized for numerous pro bono project's by Dane County and State Bar. He was also elected to the Madison Soccer hall of Fame for development of 16 filed soccer complex. He is President of the Van Wie and Olson Foundations.
Admitted to practice in Wisconsin state and federal courts. He is also admitted to practice in the state of Colorado and in the United States Supreme Court.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.hurleyburish.com/our-team/john-c-mitby/
- E-mail: email@example.com
- 33 East Main Street, Suite 400
Madison, WI 53701
- University of Wisconsin–Madison , J.D.
- University of Wisconsin–Madison, BS
- Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Colorado, Colorado Bar Association
- American Council of Engineering Companies - Affiliate Member
- American Health Lawyers Association - Member
- Bar of the Supreme Court of United States - Officer and Member
- Civil Trial Counsel of Wisconsin - Member / Board Member from 1983-1987
- Dane County and American Bar Associations - Member
- Defense Research Institute, Construction Law Committee - Member
- Litigation Section, State Bar of Wisconsin - Member / Past Chairman
- State Bar of Colorado - Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin - Member
- Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association - Member
- Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers - Member
- Wisconsin Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates - Member / Past President
- Wisconsin Law Foundation - Fellow
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Municipal, Madison (2019)
- Litigation - Municipal, Madison (2014)
- Litigation - Construction, Madison (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Municipal
- Litigation - Construction
- Architects and Engineers
- Civil Litigation
- Class Actions
- Complex Litigation
- Nursing Homes
- Named the Best Lawyers© 2015 Litigation – Municipal “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison
- Named 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Healthcare Law on behalf of American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a 2013 Leaders in Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Named the Best Lawyers 2016 Litigation – Construction “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison
- 2012 Inductee to the Madison Soccer Hall of Fame for major contributions to Reddan Soccer Park in Verona, WI
- Named to the 2008 – 2016 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Lists (Primary Area of Practice: Business Litigation Law)
- Recognized for Business Litigation Law by Wisconsin Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition and Business Edition
- Recognized for Litigation Law in Wisconsin Super Lawyers Business Edition
- Named one of Madison’s top Alternative Dispute Resolution Mediation attorneys by Madison Magazine
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America for over 16 years for commercial litigation, litigation – construction, litigation – municipal, mediation, professional malpractice law – defendants, professional malpractice law – plaintiffs
- Listed in “Ten Who Made a Difference,” 2004
- Listed in “Know Your Madisonian,” 1988
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Recognized by Dane County Bar Association for Pro Bono Service - 2015
- Member of 2013-2016 Wisconsin Pro Bono Honor Society
- Recognized by Supporting Active Independent Lives (SAIL) for 10 years of Pro Bono Service - 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America; Commercial Litigation, Construction Litigation, Municipal Litlgation and Alternative Dispute Resolution 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year - Municipal, Madison 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Construction, Madison, 2016
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.